Sunday, June 30, 2013

CSA Week 3: Creamy summer squash pasta

Homemade pasta with yellow squash, zucchini, and onions, with a sauce made of lemon, half-and-half, truffle oil, and shredded basil. Originally I was just going to make this with store-bought spaghetti, but when I realized we were all out I decided it would be easier to make my own pasta than to walk two blocks to the store. The heat does strange things to your head.

To make the pasta, I mixed three eggs, a few tablespoons of olive oil, and a pinch of salt into two cups of flour, then kneaded it until smooth and springy. then i rolled it out thin with my pasta machine and hand-cut some ugly noodles because I'm too impatient to use the pasta-cutting attachment. I sauteed the veggies as I boiled the water for the noodles, then took them off the head and added in the sauce ingredients (be careful heating up cream and lemon juice together - if it gets too hot it could separate and get gross). fresh noodles cook up super quick - once they rise to the surface, strain 'em out and toss them in with the veggies, and then cook on very low heat for just a minute to thicken up the sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment