Monday, November 25, 2013

Winter CSA week 2: falafel and beet salad

Falafel over greens w/ tahini sauce & roasted beet salad on the side. When I ran a falafel stand in college I used this crazy inauthentic recipe (I think from Moosewood?) where you made a smooth, hummus-like paste from canned chickpeas and then bread it with egg & breadcrumbs before deep-frying. It was good, but after having my first restaurant falafel, I realized that it's a totally different texture. The "authentic" recipes I've found call for grinding up soaked, uncooked chickpeas along with the spices/garlic/onion, but the one time I tried that the falafels had an unpleasant "raw" taste to them. The solution I've arrived at is using fully soaked and cooked dried chickpeas, plus just enough water to hold it all together. This results in a nice, moist-but-bready texture that's crumbly enough to get that crunchy surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment