Saturday, August 10, 2013

CSA Week 9: Minestrone

Damn good minestrone with croutons and pesto! I've tried to make this a few times before but it never turned out so well - the texture was off and the flavor wasn't complex. I think what made the difference here was the deliberate sequence of adding different veggies, the celery, which I usually omit, the parmesan rind in the broth, and the long, slow simmer. I followed this recipe with the following changes:
- added a clove of garlic, lots of black pepper, and red pepper flakes during the sautee phase
- used TWO old parmesan rinds just cuz I had 'em
- garbanzo beans instead of cannelini
- stirred in some shredded basil at the end
- topped with a big spoonful of lemony pesto!

apologies for the shitty webcam picture. camera is under repair.


No comments:

Post a Comment