Sunday, August 4, 2013

CSA Week 8: Spicy stuffed peppers

Originally I planned to use all of my CSA tomatoes, jalapenos, corn, zucchini, and peppers to make some enchiladas, but I was  too lazy to leave the house to buy more tortillas, so I came up with these black bean, veggie, and masa-stuffed peppers with salsa roja instead. I'm glad I did! Enchiladas are always more appealing to me in  concept than reality - I hope for something warm and gooey, and then get hung up on the dry and crumbly texture of the tortillas. Italian-style stuffed peppers (just rice, cheese, peppers, and marinara) were a comfort food when I was a kid, so this more complex version with grits and veggies really hit the cozy spot. The salsa roja is just tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic cloves, and onions roasted up, pureed, and cooked down to a thick sauce with a little bit of salt, sugar, pepper, and ancho chili powder. Next I sauteed some zucchini, onion, and corn with salt and lime juice and then mixed it some black beans. The last component is the grits, made simply by boiling cornmeal until soft and then stirring in some milk, butter, grated cheddar, and salt and pepper. To assemble, I cut two green peppers in half, filled them with grits and veggies, and then snuggled them up in a baking dish surrounded by the salsa roja. I covered them up with tin foil and then baked it at 400 for about a half hour. Once everything was soft I took off  the foil and melted some extra grated cheddar on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment