Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lemon Tofu & Sesame Swiss Chard

I made this tofu recipe once a few years ago and I have no idea why I waited so long to make it again. The way it's made (deep-fried tofu dipped in a cornstarch-thickened sauce) can be applied to many different flavors as well, and you could also make it a meal by thinning out the sauce with some soy sauce and/or water and then adding steamed vegetables along with the tofu. This recipe makes enough sauce for two blocks of tofu, so go ahead and make more or save it for later.

I improvised the swiss chard to go with it after a very nice fellow bought it for my at a farmer's market, but when I ended up tasting it I realized it I had eaten it a long time ago. When I was in the third grade my best friend, Julie, was second-gen Chinese, and whenever I went over to her house her mom struggled to find vegetarian things to make for me. One thing I always ended up eating was sesame- and garlic-flavored sauteed greens. I remember pouring the cooking liquid over my sticky rice when I finished, which is how I ate it today. Yum.



Lemon Tofu
1 block tofu
cornstarch

1 lemon
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
thumb-sized hunk of ginger, minced
1 tbs cornstarch

vegetable oil for frying

Cut your tofu into shapes of your choosing, then wrap it in paper towels or a cloth and press it while you prepare the sauce.

Combine the juice from the lemon, vegetable broth, soy sauce, ginger, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Whisk over medium heat and cook until thickened (don't overcook, or your sauce will take on that gross snot-like consistency of bad reheated chinese food) - if it gets too thick you can add a bit of water or broth.

Heat up about an inch of oil on high. Mix some cornstarch on a plate with salt and pepper, then roll your dried tofu pieces in it. Deep fry in a single layer(I did two batches for one block of tofu) until golden brown. Remove the tofu to a paper towel/newspaper to drain, then drop it all in the warm sauce, mix it around to coat, and use a slotted spoon to scoop it out of the sauce and into a bowl. Best eaten immediately while the tofu is still crispy, but it's also good the next day.



Quick Chinese Sauteed Swiss Chard

veg oil & sesame oil
1 big bunch swiss chard, washed and chopped (keep in the stems!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbs soy sauce
toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Heat up a tiny bit of veg oil plus a tiny bit of sesame oil in a nonstick pan (if you do all sesame oil you risk burning it... but I never had so it's probably ok). Toss in your swiss chard and garlic at the same time, plus some salt. Stir-fry until it's all wilted and soft, then top with the soy sauce and some toasted sesame seeds if you've got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment