Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baked Onion Rings

Hello possibly imaginary readership! We are back from the beach, but Gabe is off visiting his family and friends before we leave for school so I haven't cooked anything fancy... plus it is pretty much too hot to do anything but sit in front of the fan naked. However, today I went nearly insane with boredom, so I decided it was time to cook. Ingredients here are highly limited vegetable-wise, and I have no car to get me to the market, so again I am making due with pantry stapes. Tonight it was frozen peas and onion rings... only I decided to make them in the oven to decrease the oil content as well as the kitchen heat. Could a baked onion ring be delicious? I was skeptical, but it was worth a shot.

Oven-Baked Onion Rings
Serves 2
2 medium onions
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour
1 cup bread crumbs (pre-seasoned or seasoned to taste with salt, pepper, and optionally herbs)
1 tbs oil

Heat your oven to 400 and grease your pan with the oil. Slice the onions into circles and separate the rings. Dip each ring in flour, followed by egg, followed by breadcrumbs. Bake for ~20 minutes, flipping halfway.

So how did the baked onion rings stack up against the deep-fried kind? While I wouldn't place them among the best I've had, they are definitely an acceptable substitute for when you get a craving but want to avoid the deep fryer. I do love the batter on traditional rings, and these are definitely a different, more crumbly mouth feel, but they still had the defining sweet-salty and crispy-soft contrasts that make onion rings delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment